Trip FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How old do you have to be to go on a Splore trip?

Each program has different age and weight requirements for our participants. Check out our participant handbook for our specific guidelines.

How do you go to the bathroom on the river?

Splore understands the importance of providing restroom facilities during its trips, particularly for those with various physical disabilities. A special restroom facility, nick-named “the groover” is set up on each trip. The groover is a fully accessible toilet with rails around each side and is housed in a privacy tent.

Do I need to bring my own gear?

For overnight rafting trips, participants must bring their own toiletries, a change of clothes and personal belongings, including: a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water bottle, and tent (if desired). All other equipment is provided. If participants do not own some of these camping items, they are available to rent through Splore. Splore provides all the necessary equipment for the canoeing and rock climbing programs.

Do I need to bring my own food?

Splore Outdoor Adventure trips provides all meals for river rafting trips starting with a light breakfast on the first day through lunch on the final day. Splore takes great pride in providing meals on our rafting trips including such favorites as dutch oven lasagna. The canoeing and rock climbing programs, which run for three hours during weekday mornings and afternoons, do not include a meal.

Do you provide transportation?

If program participants cannot make their own arrangements, transportation may be available upon request by calling the National Ability Center office at (435) 649-3991.

What is the difficulty of rapids on Splore trips?

The level of difficulty of rapids depends on the trip. Most Splore Outdoor Adventure river rafting trips run through gentle sections of water, with most rapids ranging from Class I to Class II. The gentle nature of these rapids is such that most trips are appropriate for children and individuals of all ability levels. Splore rafting trips on Cataract Canyon and Westwater Canyon include Class III and Class IV rapids.

How do I get in and out of the boat?

Splore Outdoor Adventure staff assists individuals with transfers as needed. Transfers can be done by 2 people with interlocked arms or through a multi-person sling set up. All transfers are done through consultation with the participant to ensure that it is done safely and comfortably.

Where do you sleep on the river?

Participants sleep on the sandy banks of the river either under the stars or in a tent depending on the desires of the participant.

I have medication that needs to be kept cold. What do I do?

This is a familiar situation for the Splore Outdoor Adventure program. Medication that needs to be kept cold is stored between artificial ice packs, and placed inside an ice chest.

What if I can't be in the sun for very long?

Splore Outdoor Adventure programs will attach an umbrella to your chair in the boat to keep the sun off you. Volunteers will also make sure participants are staying hydrated and are using adequate amounts of sunscreen. Participants are encouraged to take a swim in the river when conditions allow.


Can I bring my friend/family member/spouse/care provider with me?

If you will need assistance with personal care (i.e., eating, getting dressed, toileting) on the trip, you will need to bring a personal care provider with you. Splore does not provide this service and there is no additional cost to bring one. At the time of your reservation, please let us know that you will be bringing a personal care provider with you. We also encourage you to invite friends and family to come with you. If someone wants to accompany you, but cannot afford it, please apply for one of our trip scholarships.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at 435-649-3991 or