MOAB OPERATIONS MANAGER
Start Date: April 24, 2017
Splore’s Whitewater Rafting program is based out of Moab, UT and offers one to six day whitewater rafting trips for people with disabilities or disadvantages and their families. Splore is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or Vietnam era status.
Splore Moab is a drug and tobacco free workplace.
The Operations Manager position is a supervisory position whose goal is to assist the Program Manager in planning amazing, life-changing whitewater rafting trips for our participants while also providing support and leadership for our field staff. This position is a professional position which takes place in our program office as well as in the field.
Provide Leadership for Staff By:
- Training both interns and field staff in proper river rafting skills, Splore’s policies and procedures, trip leading, and trip planning.
- Planning and delegating staff projects.
- Leading post-trip debriefs.
- Trip planning and logistics.
- Assist with trip packing as necessary.
- Perform weekly checks on all agency vehicles.
- Schedule and track maintenance necessary for each vehicle throughout the season.
- Ensure that Splore is in compliance with all UDOT requirements.
- Driving shuttle for trips as necessary.
- Schedule and track maintenance necessary for each raft throughout the season.
- Perform necessary repairs on all program equipment including, but not limited to, rafts, frames, pumps, and oars.
- Perform necessary repairs and maintenance in and around the guide house.
- Assist with menu planning, food purchasing, and food packing.
- Acquiring rental items and guides as needed.
Guiding and Trip Leading
- Lead paddle and oar rig crews through class I-IV rapids on sections of the Green and Colorado rivers.
- Lead other river guides and volunteers in providing high quality river trips.
- Plan trip programs to meet the needs/desires and goals of our participants.
- Lead instructional talks regarding safety and leave no trace camping techniques.
- Teach participants about the natural and human history of the Colorado Plateau and Colorado River.
- Assure that trips utilize above par safety procedures.
- Must be able to start no later than April 24, 2017 and work until mid/late September.
- Management experience in a related field a plus.
- No less than 2 years experience guiding and trip leading class III-IV whitewater trips.
- Current Wilderness First Responder or better (through WMI, WMA, or SOLO) and CPR certifications.
- Current driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Current Utah State Whitewater Guide License – Captain (may be obtained after hire and costs $50).
- Current Utah Food Handler’s Permit (must be obtained before your start date and costs $30).
- Current Swift Water Rescue certification (may be obtained after hire).
- 25+ preferred.
- Able/willing to work long hours in temperatures which regularly exceed 100 degrees.
- Able/willing to lift and carry objects weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Able/willing to work irregular hours with a schedule which changes often.
- Desire to work with people with disabilities (prior experience is helpful, but not required).
- Outgoing personality with the ability to have fun with a diverse group of people.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to lead groups in an outdoor setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both participants and co-workers.
- Enjoys living in a communal environment.
- Salary: The Operations Manager will be paid an hourly rate dependent on level of experience as well as a day rate for trip days.
- Housing and Partial Board: Splore provides free housing for all paid staff members.
- Certifications/ Training: Splore provides staff with top-notch trainings in risk management, environmental education, and disability awareness.
- Pro Deals: Splore staff have the opportunity to take part in pro-deals with many brand name outdoor equipment manufacturers.
TO APPLY: Please fill out our employment application here. Position is open until filled.
Interviews will be conducted via video conference.