Start Date: May 1, 2017
Splore’s Whitewater Rafting program is based out of Moab, UT and offers one to six day whitewater rafting trips for people with disabilities or disadvantages and their families. Splore is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or Vietnam era status.
Splore Moab is a drug and tobacco free workplace.
Splore’s whitewater rafting program, based out of Moab, UT, offers one to six day whitewater rafting trips for people with disabilities or disadvantages and their families.
Guides for the whitewater rafting program are personable, professional, and team-oriented individuals who are passionate about guiding participants in the outdoors. This is a full-time seasonal guide position which works closely with the Program Manager, Operations Manager, and other team members.
- Lead paddle and oar rig crews through class I-IV rapids on sections of the Green and Colorado rivers.
- Lead instructional talks regarding safety and leave no trace camping techniques.
- Teach participants about the natural and human history of the Colorado Plateau and Colorado River.
- Ensure that trips utilize above par safety procedures.
- Assist with food packing, preparation and clean up.
- Organize, maintain and repair program equipment.
- Adapt equipment to enable participants with special needs are able to participate fully.
- Drive and maintain 15 passenger vans, large buses and trucks.
- Assist in trip preparation, planning, and follow-up.
- Attend outreach and special events when necessary.
- Must be able to start no later than May 1, 2017 and work until mid/late September.
- Current Wilderness First Responder (through WMI, WMA, or SOLO) and CPR certifications.
- Current driver’s license with clean driving record.
- At least 1 season prior whitewater raft guiding experience a plus.
- Current Utah State Whitewater Guide License – Captain (may be obtained after hire and costs $50).
- Current Utah Food Handler’s Permit (must be obtained before your start date and costs $30).
- 21 years of age or older. 25+ preferred.
- Able/willing to work long hours in temperatures which regularly exceed 100 degrees.
- Able/willing to lift and carry objects weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Able/willing to work irregular hours with a schedule which changes often.
- Desire to work with people with disabilities (prior experience is helpful, but not required).
- Outgoing personality with the ability to have fun with a diverse group of people.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to lead groups in an outdoor setting.
- Ability to communicated effectively with both participants and co-workers.
- Enjoys living in a communal environment.
- Compensation: Splore staff are paid per-diem on trips. Daily wage is dependent on experience level, certifications held, and trip type. Hourly work will also be available.
- Housing and Partial Board: Splore provides free housing for all paid staff members. Also, left over food from trips is available for all paid staff.
- Certifications/ Training: Splore provides staff with top-notch trainings in risk management, environmental education, and disability awareness.
- Pro Deals: Trip Leaders have the opportunity to take part in pro-deals with many brand name outdoor equipment manufacturers.
- Staff members who earn more than $5000/yr are eligible to take part in a 401-k retirement plan.
TO APPLY: Please fill out our employment application here. Position open until filled.
Interviews will be conducted via video conference.